When the new year of school approaches does the feeling of anxiety hit you and do you feel the onset of stress coming back to you? If it does, it shouldn’t have to be! We feel stress because we are under pressure, there is something that poses a challenge to us and there is a perceived lack of control. The more we feel that we are out of control, the more stressed we are.
As parents one may feel stressed when a child goes from elementary school to middle school or when he enters high school from junior high school. Now, a child may feel stress with this too but his reasons for feeling stress may be different from yours.
I have some easy to follow and quick tips for parents and kids not to feel stressed at the onset of the coming school year and here they are:
1. My first tip is to use Afformations. Your read it right, Afformations. This is not spelled incorrectly. Afformations are a new technology of the mind I invented in 1997. Afformations immediately transforms your subconscious thought patterns from negative to positive. When you use Afformations you are instantly reminded that you are powerful. More powerful than you may think you are. With Afformations you reap the benefits in less than 5 minutes a day.
2. My next tip to you is to understand and accept the things you can control and what you can’t. There are only three things that you can control and that is what you think, what you say, and what you do. You cannot control other people’s actions and the outcomes they may lead to. You need to accept this fact. By accepting this fact your stress level will immediately decrease because trying to control things that you cannot usually is the main factor of stress.
3. Take out your “head trash”. What is head trash? These are negative thoughts in your head. These thoughts are when you concentrate on the things that you do not have and who you are not. We dislike trash especially if they accumulate. If we do not take them out, they may produce a foul smell and create a displeasing sight. With head trash, if all these negative thoughts circle your head, its result will also be negative. Unproductive habits like procrastination, overeating, or perfectionism will consume you. That is why you need to take out all your head trash and develop empowering habits for your happiness and success.
4. Breathe. Yes, take time to feel yourself breathe. Inhale through your nose for the count of 3. Then, exhale through your mouth for the count of 5. Repeat this and you can feel immediately relaxed, right? When you take time to feel yourself breathe, your attention is moved away from your thoughts and you begin to relax.
5. Smile – Even if we don’t feel like smiling, let us try to smile. A recent study from Psychological Science showed that smiling during brief times of stress can reduce the body’s stress response. Smiling won’t hurt so why not try it?
I hope with these tips your back to school stress and the common everyday stress you feel will be lowered drastically. Here’s to a great day!